Whilst starting secondary school is an exciting prospect for students, we are fully aware that the transition from Primary School can be daunting. At Belvidere, we try to build our transition process around a range of enjoyable activities during Years 5 and 6, so that by the time students join us in Year 7, they have already spent some time getting to know the school, its staff and students.
- In Year 6, students and parents/carers are invited to attend our Open Evening in October. Here, families can tour the school, participating in activities in each department and even have the chance to sample the delicious food prepared in our dining hall. In their final term at Primary School, students will be visited by our Assistant Headteacher, Miss Revell, who will give an introductory talk and answer any questions that the students may have. Members of the pastoral team and SEND team also gather information from the Primary Schools through talking to teachers about individual needs.
- Later in the summer term, students spend a full day at Belvidere School and attend taster sessions. This helps them to acclimatise to the school environment alongside their new peers.
- Transition evenings take place in June, allowing students and parents/carers to meet key members of our school staff.
- During the summer holidays, all of our new students are invited to attend our Summer School.
- On their first day of school in September, new Year 7 students arrive before the other year groups. They spend the first part of the day with their new form tutor and have a chance to get to know him/her before the older students arrive. This session enables form tutors to offer additional tours of the school and to ensure that new students find their feet and are ready for the new term ahead. Students also participate in a team building event on the school field, to have fun, make friends and get to know their Head of House. During the first week of school, new students have an earlier lunch than the other year groups.
- A few weeks into the new term, we will host a settling-in evening, where parents/carers can meet the Year 7 form tutor team.
We hope, through this programme of activities, to make transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible. We will keep you informed about the different stages of the transition process, through face to face discussion on transition and settling-in evenings, and also through the information booklets sent home in the summer term. If any parent/carer would like to find out more, please do not hesitate to get in touch.